The Kajugira homestead is 3 hours from Kampala and 19 kilometres from Mbarara town on the Masaka Mbarara highway near Biharwe trading center and Igongo Cultural Center. The home sits on a beautiful hill and is visible from the main road. Nearby places of interest include Lake Mburo National Park, Rwenjeru Campsite, and other COBATI homesteads.
- Homestead Hosts
Diana Kajugira is a prominent farmer who breeds and sells dairy cows and hybrid goats, grows perennial crops, and maintains a banana plantation. She is a very hospitable host with adult children who no longer live at home. Diana is a gifted traditional bead artisan; she makes beautiful beaded crafts and baskets associated with the Ankole long horned cow culture. Visitors can arrange a beading lesson inside Diana’s beautifully furnished craft hut. The family loves welcoming visitors to their home.
Sleeps: 2 per room (3 rooms available)
The main house has one guest bedroom. There is also a guest cottage with two bedrooms that share a common sitting area.
Bedrooms:Room 1: Private room in main house with double bed, mosquito net, nightstand, electrical outlet Room 2: Private room in guest cottage with double bed, mosquito net, nightstand, electrical outlet; shares sitting room with Room 3 Room 3: Private room in guest cottage with double bed, mosquito net, nightstand, electrical outlet; shares sitting room with Room 2
Notes: The home does not have heat, air conditioning, phone, or Internet.Linens, towels, soap, iron and ironing board TV in the family’s living room Kitchen access with fridge and stove
All bedrooms have a private en suite bathroom with toilet, sink, shower (no bathtub), and hot/cold running water
- Linens, towels, soap, iron and ironing board
- TV in the family’s living room
- Kitchen access with fridge and stove
Notes: The home does not have heat, air conditioning, phone, or Internet
Wheelchair accessible: No
Smoking: Outside only
For overnight guests there is a one-time charge for participation in any/all of the homestead activities below. Daytime visitors can schedule selected activities (priced individually); for details, please see the Rates section.
- Farm chores: cow milking, gardening, repairing farm fence, spraying ticks off animals, watering the herd
- Tour of banana plantation and orchard
- Cooking and enjoying fresh organic food grown at the homestead farm
- Beading or weaving lesson inside Diana’s beautiful handcraft hut
- Lecture on Ankole long horned cow and its culture showcased in the milk hut
- Guided walking tour of the farm when you may be lucky to see wild game from nearby Lake Mburo National Park grazing alongside the cows
- Relax in the garden and enjoy a cup of African tea while reading a book or appreciating nature
- Full Board – Adult: UGX 100,000 per person, per day
- Homestead Activities – Adult: UGX: 20,000 per person, per visit (one time charge for duration of stay)
- Full Board – Children below 12 years: UGX 50,000 per person, per day; includes homestead activities
- Transportation (round trip) to Igongo Cultural Center: UGX: 20,000 per trip for up to 4 passengers
Day Visitor Activities
Prices are per person
- Beading or basket weaving lesson (1 hour): UGX: 20,000
- Traditional yogurt and ghee making demonstration (1.5 hours): UGX: 20,000
- Farm tour and lecture (1 hour) UGX: 20,000
Food and Beverage
Overnight homestay includes three meals per day with beverages. The following prices are for additional items or food and beverage for day visitors.
- Breakfast: UGX: 10,000
- Traditional meal with organic vegetables (no meat): UGX: 15,000
- Traditional meal (with meat/chicken/fish): UGX: 25,000
- African tea/coffee and local snacks: UGX: 5,000
- Bottled water: UGX: 700
- Coffee/tea: UGX: 1,500
- Soft drink: UGX: 1,500
Prices are in Uganda Shilling. See a price in your currency >
Prices subject to change without notice.
- Reservation Information
Terms and Conditions
Reservations: Reservations are required 48 hours in advance for overnight and daytime visits.
Minimum stay: 1 night.
Deposit: No deposit required to hold reservation.
Booking fee:There is a $20 per person booking fee.
Final payment: Full payment for all services (room, food, activities) is due 48 hours before check in, payable to COBATI by Western Union, Moneygram, Mobile Money, or cash in Uganda Shillings. Payment for any additional items added during stay (food, activities, additional nights) is due in cash (Uganda Shillings) to the host family at check out.
Check in / Check out: Times are flexible, to be arranged upon reservation.
Cancellation: Reservations may be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to check in with no penalty. For cancellations made less than 48 hours before check in, full payment is due.
COBATI retains the right to post photos taken of guests at homesteads on the COBATI website and social media pages.